afterwhat

afterwhat

The Mermaid's Mirror - L.K. Madigan I found this book...unconvincing. I think the dialogue was mostly stilted, the relationships between the characters were pretty shallow, and I didn't see much in the way of character nuance or development in Lena, our protagonist. I was expecting a YA book when I picked it up, and Lena is definitely 16, but the book read middle grade. It would be an acceptable middle grade novel, if we aged down Lena and her friends--and by acceptable, what I mean is, I don't think a 5th grader looking for books about mermaids would be turned off. I don't think a teenager would find much to love, here.

The mermaid village wasn't as detailed as I'd want to see, and I didn't buy Lena's connection to either world enough for the Extreme Turmoil she was apparently supposed to have been feeling...

Ugh, not my jam, but I don't think this was one of those books I read at the wrong time or was just wrong for me, as a reader. The cover/marketing was wrong for the book, and the book wasn't that great.