afterwhat

afterwhat

Gone Girl - Gillian Flynn Hoo boy, it's been a long time since I've read a book that wasn't about pregnancy or babies or parenting. As it turns out, it's kind of hard to finagle a baby and a book (page turning, so hard), so I checked this out from the library as an ebook, read it on the iPad, and it worked perfectly.

It was a pretty decent book to read to break my fast, but I definitely didn't love it as much as I thought I would, considering the buzz that's surrounded it. The writing was great, the storytelling was great, the characters were interesting and no one was actually likeable (which I like), but the ending was so very dissatisfying for me. That was partly because the iPad was telling me there were fifty more pages to go (all afterward + notes), so when I finished the last page, I was downright startled to find that the book was over, but partly it was becasue the book didn't feel over. There was more to the story, you know? And I'm sure all that was very intentional, but come on! There are things I needed to see, needed to know!

Also, there are very brief flashes of VERY DIRTY in this book, just a line here and a line there that I probably wouldn't have really noticed and definitely wouldn't have remembered after the fact except that! When I was halfway through, an aunt asked how I liked it, and I recommended it (very enjoyable so far"), and the entire rest of the time I was reading, whenever I came across one of those lines, I was like "OMG, AUNT SHIRLEY WILL THINK I'M A DEGENERATE!" Really, a very mild warning for sensitive souls.