afterwhat

afterwhat

Frost - Marianna Baer It's Leena's senior year at the elite Barcroft Academy, and she couldn't be more excited; she'll be spending the year in Frost House, a tiny dorm where Leena will be living with only her very best friends and the oft-absent house mother. But on her first day in Frost House, Leena finds out that she'll have another roomate: bizarre, artistic, melodramatic Celeste Lazar, whose mysterious summer accident has left her with a broken leg and a need for a first floor room. But Leena knows, can feel, that this room, and especially the large closet that smells of home to Leena, is meant to be hers, and hers alone. Leena's semester is plagued by strange attacks on Celeste on her belongings, struggles with school work and relationships with her friends, and an intense attraction to Celeste's hot, ever-present, overprotective brother, and Leena's on the verge of losing everything. Some people say that Frost House is haunted. Some people say that Celeste is crazy. But what's really going on in Frost House?

So, I liked this book. I was interested, I definitely wanted to know what was going on. It was creepy, atmospheric, and well-written. I didn't like any of the characters, except maybe for Celeste. Leena tries too hard. Her friends are selfish and bitchy. David is somehow even creepier than I think he was meant to be, in a possessive, controlling kind of way. And the teachers--you know, of course, they did everything wrong. But I think that added to the creep factor: any of the characters might have been hurting Celeste, any of them might have been trying to get her out of the house.

I definitely liked it, but I didn't love it.