afterwhat

afterwhat

A Great and Terrible Beauty - Libba Bray The first vision Gemma Doyle has is of her mother, dying. Killing herself, actually, when confronted with a great, shadowy beast that seemed set on destroying her. So Gemma, motherless and with an opium addict for a father, is shipped off to the Spence Academy in England, a girls' school that is totally alien to Gemma, who's lived her entire life in India. There, the girls are cruel, sarcastic and sneaky, and actually...Gemma fits right in. She finds herself evenly matched with Felicity, the leader of the mean girls, and Pippa, Felicity's pretty and deceptively empty-headed best friend. The three, along with Ann, Gemma's congested, uptight roommate, form a bond, a circle of honesty and magic...and Order. But when they learn to harness Gemma's visions, to travel to a dream world of freedom and wish fulfillment, they also find something dark, terrifying, something set on stealing the power for its own.

Listened to an audiobook, and. Okay, so, the narrated also narrated the audio of Jane Eyre I listened to years ago, and Jane Eyre is...whiny, you know? Not exactly likeable? So right off the bat, I was annoyed at Gemma. I stayed annoyed. I never did like her, actually, and only a little of that is thanks to emotional audiobook transference. None of the girls are likeable, actually. They're selfish, and, as I mentioned, cruel. They weren't friends as I think of friends--they didn't seem to enjoy each other's company, at all, and I think they were all using one another. It wasn't a bad book, but I didn't really enjoy it.