afterwhat

afterwhat

Hound Dog True - Linda Urban Mattie never knows what to say, so she tries not to say anything at all. That's not so easy when you move a lot, and when every new teacher makes you stand up in front of the blackboard and introduce yourself. Once, Mattie was so nervous that she introduced herself as "Not a Buddhist." This time is a little better though; the school year hasn't started yet, and Mattie and her mother have moved in with Mattie's Uncle Potluck, the school custodian, and for the entire week before school starts, Mattie is spending time with him at work. She's learning to fix water fountains, change lightbulbs, and polish floors, and Mattie has a plan that would make being the new kid, a shy kid, a kid with no friends and no chance of making any friends, much more bearable. Mattie wants to become Potluck's Custodial Apprentice, which would mean working during lunches and recess and those minutes before and after school when all of the other kids are hanging out with their friends. But things are aren't as easy as that, and when Mattie's custodial aspirations go belly-up, Mattie will have to find her courage...and her voice.

This was a good book. A very solid book. I liked Mattie, could very much empathize with her. I loved Uncle Potluck. It didn't blow me away, but I did enjoy the reading.