afterwhat

afterwhat

Wonderland - Joanna Nadin Jude is invisible, Jude is obscure. Her mother killed herself years ago, and all Jude wants is to be like her--beautiful, someone who stands out in a crowd and isn't afraid to be seen. That's not Jude though. But it is Stella. Stella was Jude's friend when they were eight years old, and she moved away, to London, after Jude's father got angry, shouted at Stella to leave. Now she's back, and she's changing Jude's world, changing Jude--making her that peson that has the right comebacks and isn't afraid to walk into a party uninvited. But Jude starts to wonder whether she really wants to be like Stella, after all, and then the question becomes: Will Stella let her go?

An enjoyable read, well-written and no longer than it needed to be. I saw the twisty twist coming from--what, page 10? It's not well hidden, but I'm not sure that it's supposed to be, and it doesn't need to be a shock to be effective. I didn't like Jude, but again, I don't really think that's necessary, and it's certainly not the point. No one ever really likes people that are trying too hard, and Jude was very much trying too hard. I was embarrassed for her, and sad for her, and concerned for her, and that was enough to keep me reading.