afterwhat

afterwhat

Anya's Ghost - Vera Brosgol Anya, sort of a Ghost World girl (quirky, cynical, irreverent--though not anywhere to the extreme that the girls in Ghost World were, because Anya mostly wants to go unnoticed), falls down a well and discovers a skeleton. And a ghost. A ghost who comes with Anya when she's finally rescued. And who proceeds to try to help Anya fit in, improve her social status, and Get the Guy. As you can imagine, things aren't nearly as simple as they seem.

There was a lot going on here. Boys who aren't worth loving, people who aren't what they seem, cultural alienation (which, interestingly, is the primary theme in a middle grade novel I also finished today), living your life well because you only get one shot at it. Being true to yourself, being kind to your true friends. And somehow, it all worked. This GN was somehow funny and sweet and sarcastic, all at the same time. I very much approved of the art, though I know nothing about art--the characters were all so expressive, and adorable, and the color palette was perfectly suited to the story.