afterwhat

afterwhat

Delirium  - Lauren Oliver Amor deliria nervosa. It's a disease, the worst thing that can happen to a human being--symptoms including sweating, violent hallucinations, and finally, death. It's love. And it's been cured. Everyone in this future gets the cure when they turn eighteen. Sure, everyone knows, even if the government won't acknowledge, that there are uncured people, invalids, living in the wilds outside of the cities, and that there are sympathizers, resisters, living among them. But life without the delira is calm, organized, safe, and that's all that Lena wants, all she's ever thought she wanted. And then she meets Alex.

Excellent writing. Interesting characters--I especially appreciated Hana, Lena's best friend, and Grace, Lena's cousin. I was...bored by parts of it? Oliver's writing is so beautiful that it would have been a shame to leave out the detailed passages about Lena's symptoms, about her fear, but there was so much of it that I started skimming. As a result, I thought, until the end and the profound emotional impact I felt, that I was bored by the book as a whole. Not so, apparently, because my breath was literally suspended for those last few pages. I was very much into the book, but I think it could have been whittled down a little, and been stronger for it. Even if those passages themselves are gorgeous, in the middle of the story, they were cumbersome.