afterwhat

afterwhat

Flutter: The Story of Four Sisters and an Incredible Journey - Erin E. Moulton I knew I wasn't going to love this book when I saw the cover, and I know how that sounds. Good books get bad covers all the time, right? But it's not that this is a bad cover--it's beautiful, actually--but it wasn't the cover I was expecting when I read the summary/review of this book that made me add it to my TBR list. I was expecting a cover that was a little more childlike, maybe something with silhouettes, ala The Penderwicks. And I was looking for a book that would have silhouettes, not a book that would have a photographic cover. And while this cover doesn't say much about the book, I think the photograph was an appropriate choice, because. I don't know.

There wasn't much that was wistful or sweet or dreamy about this book, and that's what I was looking for. It was both melodramatic and somehow too realistic. The relationship between Maple and her older sister Dawn was somehow too spot-on. Yes, they'd put their lives on the line for each other, for their sisters, but they didn't like each other, and I never saw a hint of them wanting to be together. I didn't see their adventure bringing them closer. And there was too much falling and being wounded and too many bears and poachers showing up. Too many tears. I also hate it when I can't figure out when a book is taking place. I'm not sure if this was historical, or if the family was just, so backwoods that they were a little behind the times.