afterwhat

afterwhat

The Woods - Harlan Coben I started this one on my lunch break yesterday. So good. There's a lot of dialogue, which makes the 400 pages fly by, and a mystery that's extremely, well, mysterious. It's written in first person, which usually I don't like, and was still just the tiniest bit annoying here, but it didn't get too much in my way. The main character is a county prosecuter who is prosecuting two rich white boys for raping a black girl. The boys' fathers sic private detectives on him to dig up dirt on him, which, it turns out, is like setting fire to a really long line of accelerant leading to an oil tanker.

Twenty years ago, Paul Copeland was a camp counselor on watch duty the night that four of the campers were murdered. Well, two bodies were found, and blood and clothing from the other two were found. One of them was his sister. Eventually, another couselor from the camp was arrested and convicted of several other summer camp murders, though not this one, and the case is effectively closed. During his own investigation, Paul learns, interestingly and irrelevantly, that his father once worked for the KGB. Then Paul's girlfriend from the camp gets back into contact with him, after having been emailed a journal entry from her own point of view from that night.