afterwhat

afterwhat

Mockingjay - Collins Suzanne No, seriously, spoilers. I am going to give away the ending, here.

I don't know what to say about this one. I started reading it when I got home from work, took a break for dinner with my fella, then read until I was finished. Riveting, obviously.

I wasn't quite sure where we were at the beginning; I just couldn't quite remember what happened in the second book, or how things ended up, but it came back to me as I read.

Here's what I didn't like:

Katniss wasn't as strong in this book as she was in the others. Or, no, it was more like, she didn't have the opportunities to show that she was strong that she had in the other books. And, well, obviously, by Mockingjay, she's an extremely damaged person, so it makes sense that she'd be lost, a little hesitant. I felt like she didn't trust herself very much. It was understandable, necessary, but I loved the way she kicked ass in the first two of the series.

The epilogue was a little bit--I mean, it wasn't Deathly Hallows-level cheese, but. Why must there always be babies? No, I mean, I get it, children = future, and that's actually a theme that's brought up repeatedly here, but. Babies, you know, I can't see Katniss having babies after all that. And their physical descriptions, well, it's a bit much.

Here's what I did like:

Everything else. It moved quickly, there was tons of action, there was some politics that were totally not boring. There were memories of favorite characters from past books without dwelling or bogging down the story. Cinna, sob, how I loved yee. Things wrapped up, you know, not neatly, not even happily, but hopefully. I was worried, almost convinced actually, that Katniss was going to die, due to an interview Suzanne Collins did where she compared Katniss to Spartacus, but about halfway through, I realized the book was written in 1st person. 1st person death scene...tough to accomplish, nigh unto impossible.

I loved the way the love triangle played out, actually. I just loved the way Peeta was devoted to Katniss throughout the first two books, so I was definitely, you know, leaning that direction. But we didn't see a lot of Gale in the first two books, and I didn't feel like I knew the character; the Gale we see in this book would not have complemented Katniss. But I appreciate that Peeta lost some of his blind adoration for Katniss here, because that wouldn't have worked out, either.

All of my questions were answered, which is amazing and gratifying. I loved Finnick like whoa. And Boggs. Ooh, and the cat.

Right. Good stuff. Having said all that, I actually didn't love it As Much as I loved the other two. I mean, The Hunger Games caught me totally off-guard with the amazing, and that sort of awed surprise is priceless. Catching Fire, I thought would be mostly about politics, so the Quarter Quell surprised me again with its amazingness. Mockingjay...it didn't surprise me. Not that it was predictable, but the general direction it went in was not unexpected. Still amazing! But not my personal favorite of the trilogy.

Edited: You know, I've been thinking about this more, and I think--I mean, I'm satisfied with the ending, but here's what I wish: I wish we'd seen what happens after Katniss kills President Coin. I mean immediately after. I wish we'd been shown that part, instead of told about it. I'm good with the ending; it worked for me. I think it would've worked better if we'd gotten to see that, instead of, I mean, we weren't BreakingDawn'ed--there was lots of action, things happened, everything that happened mattered. But I think seeing that would've solved a lot of the problems people have with the ending. Or, maybe, you know, just my problems with the ending, which are pretty negligible.