afterwhat

afterwhat

House Rules - Jodi Picoult I swear, I'm really going to stop reading Jodi Picoult's books. I am never satisfied at the end, and honestly? I think she's getting worse. I enjoyed a few in the middle there, but these latest couple have been wretched.

Look, I know going into a Jodi Picoult novel that I'm in for some serious emotional manipulation. I know I'm not going to get an ending that satisfies. It's something I accept when I crack the cover. But I also know that it will be riddled with emotionally intense characters whose lives were perfect until they were wrecked, and with twists that shock and horrify and jerk the tears.

This book DID NOT GIVE ME THE TWISTS. And I did not care about the characters AT ALL. Look, when the focus of the story doesn't really care about what's going to happen to him, how can I? I did not grow to a greater appreciation of those with autism, which, actually, it kind of seems like must've been the whole point of the novel, because, did I mention that I didn't care about the plot and that it DIDN'T MAKE WITH THE TWISTS? 520+ pages of boredom. I can't even believe I finished it, it was that lame. But here's the thing: I was waiting FOR THE TWIST.

(P.S. Obviously, I am going to continue to read Jodi Picoult's novels, and then tear my hair out when I've finished.)