afterwhat

afterwhat

Boy Meets Boy - David Levithan I was pretty sure, when I started reading this book, that I was going to hate it. I was confused. Really confused. It seemed like everything was happening in an alternate universe--like it was going to end up sci-fi or fantasy--except that there wasn't any of that nifty worldbuilding, or superpowers, or unicorns, or ray guns. I ended up loving it, though, and here's why: it's like a Sarah Dessen novel, only gay.

You have to suspend your disbelief and let yourself get into it. Paul's in high school, and he's gay, and everyone in his school is either LGBTQ or LGBTQ-friendly. The quarterback is also the homecoming queen, because she's--well, Levithan doesn't really explain whether she's transgendered, transsexual, or transvestite, so I'm going to go with genderqueer and call it a day.

And here's the stuff that happens: Paul's best friend Joni starts dating a jerk and spending little/no time with Paul and their mutual friends. Paul starts dating a new guy named Noah who's just perfect, but then Paul's ex-boyfriend Kyle realizes that he's less straight that he thought he was when he broke up with Paul, and everything gets a little messy and confusing.

Guys, it's a love triangle. A BIG GAY LOVE TRIANGLE. And there are some beautiful scenes, particularly one between Paul and Kyle, and one between Paul and his friend Tony (and I was so rooting for Tony and Paul, because--because Tony could've said "What took you so long" and it would've been beautiful).

Okay, but anyway, it was a really nice, quiet little book. Seriously, I'm not kidding, it's exactly like a regular ol' contemporary coming-of-age-in-a-romantic-fashion YA novel. Just, you know. Gay. <3