afterwhat

afterwhat

Hate List - Jennifer Brown In May of her junior year, Valerie Leftman's boyfriend, Nick Levil, walked into the Garvin High School cafeteria and opened fire, killing six students and injuring more before turning his gun on himself. Valerie was shot in the leg, and was in the hospital for weeks, but that doesn't stop her from being a suspect. Maybe it was a planned double suicide gone wrong, maybe she'd urged Nick on, maybe she'd orchestrated the entire thing. Or maybe she was just too close to him--guilt by association. And then there was the Hate List she and Nick had compiled...

Hate List begins at the start of the new school year, and Valerie, with her mother and therapist, has decided to return to Garvin, believing that to do otherwise would been seen as an admission of guilt. The book is told through flashbacks, newspaper articles, and Valerie's journey through the new school year.

And it was marvelous, and I didn't want to stop reading. But also, I think the book, especially with the newspaper articles, was trying to horrify. And it is horrifying, of course, the idea of a school shooting, such terrible violence in a place that's charged with keeping children safe while they're not at home, a place that children spend so much time in. But it wasn't as horrifying as, I think, it might have been, had I not recently read Dave Cullen's book about Columbine--because a fictional account of a school shooting just can't touch the reality of one. It just didn't have much shock value for me. Good though. Well done.