afterwhat

afterwhat

Just Listen - Sarah Dessen I was up until 1:30 this morning (that's about two hours after my self-prescribed bedtime) finishing this book. It's not particularly suspenseful, there's just about no action at all, but I was so invested in the characters, and in the romance, I just couldn't help it. I...can't remember the main character's name, though. I don't know what that says about the book, other than that it's obviously written in first-person.

Anyway, the plot...The the main character (Annabel--I looked it up) is a high school senior with no friends, no social life, and a screwed up family situation focused around her anorexic sister's recovery. Last year, Annabel had it all--she had friends, went to parties, and was even a semi-successful model, but something happened at the beginning of the summer and now her best friend, Sophie, hates her, calls her dirty names when she sees her in the hallways, and has turned the entire school against Annabel. Then Annabel starts talking to Owen, a music-obsessed hulk of a guy who's famous throughout the school for breaking someone's nose and getting expelled for the entirety of last year, and who's now in anger management. Owen tells the truth, always, and he might turn out to be exactly what Annabel needs to help her find her voice.

I think it was pretty obvious what the "big reveal" re: the incident with Sophie was going to be, but it didn't really matter, because I was so drawn into the story that even after the reveal, I couldn't put the book down. I really liked it.