afterwhat

afterwhat

Shiver - Maggie Stiefvater I can't decide whether to give this two or three stars. I'd read about a hundred glowing reviews of Shiver, and I should've known better than to let my expectations get built up. I'd read that it was what Twilight should have been, so I was expecting great characters, a focus on a romantic relationship that would leave me swooning, and great (or at least better-that-Stephenie-Meyer) writing. And I didn't find any of that. I didn't swoon once, I never got sucked into the story, and I didn't care about the characters, and I wasn't terribly impressed with the writing.

I love the way the book looks, the cover is fabulous, I love the blue ink...and I love the reviews of it I read? So I want to give it three stars. Maybe it's just me--so many other people raved about this book that I want to rave too! and I feel like it must be my fault that I didn't enjoy it. To be fair to the author, Catching Fire is waiting for me on the hold shelf at the library, and I am anxious to get to that (but refuse to go to work on my day off!), so I might not have given this a fair shake.

I liked Twilight better, repetitive (is Bella clumsy? Is Edward really cold? I didn't really get that from the books), self-indulgence at all. It might be creepy that Edward sneaks into Bella's room and watches her sleep without her knowledge/consent, but...but darn it, I'm a sucker for romance, and I definitely swooned for Twilight! I honestly didn't care a whit about Sam and Grace.