afterwhat

afterwhat

A Thousand Splendid Suns - Khaled Hosseini I swear, I am going to read everything that this man has ever written and will ever write. This book was amazing. There's so much emotion trapped in this novel, so much soul-searing, burning, draining emotion, it's incredible. I have a special spot reserved in my gut for stories about women, especially for fictional, realistic women, women who are neither madonnas or whores, who are not idealized as angels of grace and perfection but who aren't heartless demons, either. It's shockingly hard to find these types of women in literature, women who resonate and bleed from the page and soak into your body.

These women did. These women, who had separate lives and shames and sorrows, and who became sisters, shared children and a home and a life, and endured and fought monsters of rage and grief, together. I could feel the sun from the page shining on my face, I sobbed, I ached, I swear I stopped breathing for pages at a time, and. There's just so much more--just read it. Read it, read it.