afterwhat

afterwhat

Nineteen Minutes - Jodi Picoult This book was really compelling. I read it in a single day, staying up past 2:00 to finish it, because I just couldn't put it down. That is what I mean when I say I "really liked it". But, darn it, I was so disappointed in it, when I finished it. It didn't leave any loose ends or anything, but the twist, the big twist that the entire book was leading up to, was such a let down. It just didn't seem like that big of a deal to me, and I really don't think that the punishment that was doled out for it was realistic.

The main characters in the book, Josie and Peter, were best friends from the time they were born up until middle school or so, when Josie gets an opportunity to be friends with the popular kids. Peter, of course, is the opposite of the popular kids, has been bullied since his first day of kindergarten. Josie is the daughter of a judge, and she's expected to be perfect in every way. She's constantly terrified of her "friends" finding out that she's not really cool, that she's a fraud. The main event in the book is a school shooting, Columbine with an extra fatality and a shooter who is still alive at the end. There's a trial, there's a twist, there's a switching of POVs and time periods, and of course, there's a sympathetic villain. And a not-so-sympathetic victim. My favorite parts was, I think, seeing the aftermath from the POV of the shooter's mother.